Thursday, July 24, 2008

King of the MacGuffin

I like J.J. Abrams.

I simply like the types of shows he likes to put on air. The types of movies he likes to make, back, produce, direct, write, whatever. I think, my personal taste in cinematic entertainment is very similar to his, which is probably why I like his stuff, even when it isn't always perfect.

I just like it.

So I am looking forward to seeing FRINGE. But this synopsis just cracks me up.

When an unlikely trio uncovers a deadly mystery involving a series of unbelievable events, they discover it may be part of a larger, disturbing pattern that blurs the line between science fiction and technology


That is very, very -- VAGUE.

I am not making a value judgment. It is not good, nor is it bad. But it is vague. And that vagueness makes me laugh. I'm not even completely sure, why.

To me, it seems like its hook is that it doesn't even have a hook.

Look -- it could be a mystery -- it could be science fiction -- it could be X-Files -- it could be...



Please note the cow. Moo!

I just have to see it.

P.S. MacGuffin, really has nothing to do with this post. I just think J.J. Abrams is the King of the MacGuffin and as such, have dubbed him with that title. I may go into detail as to why, and how he uses MacGuffin(s) to their utmost potential and why they heavily favor TV over film. But that's for a later post.

2 comments:

deepstructure said...

lol - that is extremely vague. it sounds like the phrase "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma..."

James said...

Exactly, lol.